About Brighter Sound
Over the past 20 years, Brighter Sound has been developing and delivering projects, programmes and events that are responsive and relevant for young and emerging musicians and upcoming professionals supporting skills development, creativity and social mobility. We are passionate believers in opportunities for all and in rebalancing the music sector, enabling diversity and creativity to flourish and be celebrated. We work to bypass the barriers that relate to wealth and geographic location, in order to pave a new way for the music makers and creatives of the future, changing representation and challenging marginalisation.
At Brighter Sound we:
- Inspire young people to imagine what is possible
- Champion gender equality through our pioneering initiative Both Sides Now
- Strategise through consultancy and partnerships to provide research-based evidence and support
- Mentor young and emerging artists/professionals, connecting them with industry leaders
- Connect emerging artists and build communities
- Employ early career professionals through traineeships and apprenticeships
- Commission emerging artists to create new music
- Create artistic projects, residencies and events for young and emerging artists to work with acclaimed Artistic Directors to collaborate, compose and showcase new music.
We have been running a large-scale gender equality programme across the North of England called Both Sides Now. Both Sides Now is a ground-breaking initiative to support, inspire and showcase female music creators and industry professionals. A driving force for equality across the music landscape, Both Sides Now is delivered in partnership with an incredible range of venues, creative and cultural organisations, music education hubs, labels and festivals in the focus cities of Leeds, Liverpool, Manchester and Newcastle. The ambitious three-year programme of work includes:
- artistic residencies led by innovative and inspiring artists
- creative commissions with international partners
- national and international showcases to platform northern artists
- resources for music education profiling a diversity of female music creators
- training and apprenticeships in backstage and historically male-dominated roles
- a public facing campaign shaped by hundreds of voices across the sector
Collaboration Idea with China
We have a breadth of international partnerships and value international exchange and partnership development with young, emerging and established musicians, producers and practitioners across all professional skill areas of the music industry. We have built a number of strong models both, locally and internationally, with the music sector to support talent development and creativity. For example, through our residency and co–commissioning programmes, mentoring and music entrepreneurship programmes and our programmes for young people who are living in challenging circumstances.
We would like to work with cities digitally across China to:
- Build creative and professional opportunities between young and emerging musicians through residencies, commissions and mentoring programmes
- Share models of practise that build gender equality across the music sector and industry
Please see below an example of our partnership with K11 and Vox Livehouse in Wuhan to deliver special commission EIGHT featuring a collaboration between Eight artists from Manchester and Wuhan marking the opening of the British Consulate in Wuhan.
The work that Brighter Sound delivers strongly reflects the themes of social inclusion, sustainability, gender equality. We would like to work in partnership with organisations and initiatives who are interested to explore music through creative collaboration, professional development and its broader ability to connect to creative and cultural understanding, health and wellbeing.
In particular we would be interested in working with partners from across China in the context of gender equality. Our Both Sides Now (https://www.brightersound.com/both-sides-now/) and
Transforming Leadership (https://www.brightersound.com/transforming-leadership/) initiatives, reflect our commitment to a gender equal music industry, locally and internationally.